Saturday, April 23, 2016

Weekend Update April 23

What a week!  This was school vacation week for Emma and she had a great time with friends.  This past Monday she watched the Boston Marathon.  What a quintessential way to see Boston at its finest - the weather cooperated as well.  Joseph continues to have a good semester at Bowdoin.  He is having a strong outdoor track season setting personal bests in both high jump and hurdles over the last couple weeks.  However he is REALLY missed in North Andover and it will be great when he gets home in late May.

Medical Update:    This week has set a new record for roller coaster events.  I was discharged from the hospital on Tuesday (yeah!!) only to be readmitted Friday (crap).  In a clinic visit on Thursday they took blood cultures and found I had bacteria in my blood.  We were hopeful it was a contaminated sample but  it turned out to be accurate.  So I am back in the hospital beginning another course of antibiotics.  The plan is for me to get the initial course of antibiotics here for several days (?? on the number) and then transition home where I will continue giving myself IV antibiotics.  I believe I will be on the medications for a total of 6 weeks.  Needless to say this was a pretty big blow.  After being in the hospital for a month (plus the 3 weeks or so just before that month) and then home for only 2 1/2 days only to go back into the hospital was incredibly discouraging.  Yet I've been in worse places during this journey.  And I have the support and council of Jim, my Mom, Kate, John, all of you - reminding me we've gotten through worse and reminding me of what I can do to get stronger.  Tomorrow Jim, Emma and I will go to mass which has become our habit for the last several Sundays.  I get all bundled up in a wheelchair and we parade to the part of Beth Israel Deaconess where there is a lovely chapel where Father Chris offers Mass each Sunday at noon.

Will try and be more diligent with my updates.

Thank for checking in - Love, Maureen

3 comments:

  1. Hang in there and please know that we are all praying for you. Wishing and praying that this is a short visit and you will be home before you know it!

    The Conaton Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Joseph is completing week 2 of his 4-week antibiotic home infusions for bacteria in his blood - you two can compare notes at the next reunion. Glad they caught it and that you'll be able to continue treatment at home soon. Hang in there...again! Much love from us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maureen I appreciate your updates not only for the information but for the gift of seeing how despite your many challenges you find blessings and humor. I would like to share the most recent psalm that I have been praying with you in my heart.

    Psalm 46

    God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.

    Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
    though its waters roar and foam
    and the mountains quake with their surging.

    There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
    the holy place where the Most High dwells.

    God is within her, she will not fall;
    God will help her at break of day.

    Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
    he lifts his voice, the earth melts.

    The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.


    Come and see what the Lord has done,
    the desolations he has brought on the earth.

    He makes wars cease
    to the ends of the earth.
    He breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the shields[d] with fire.

    He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”

    The Lord Almighty is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete