Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Update February 16

Emma is enjoying her February break.  Today she joined me in the clinic to the delight of the nurses who have come to know my family well.  Jim, Emma and I saw Joseph this weekend at Boston University.  Bowdoin participated in a track invitational on Saturday. Joe's event was early so we thought we might take him to lunch - Joe had other plans joining some high school friends who go to school in the Boston area.  We were able to fund the lunch as Joseph was short on cash - so there was that...Anyway, it was great to see him and he is in town again this Saturday for a meet at MIT.  Come by if you are in the area!  Now get ready all my Lake Catholic High School pals...on Sunday Emma and I saw Pippin at the Boston Opera House. It was amazing and the words to all the songs came flooding back - what an amazing show (and my good friends at Lake truly did the play justice back in the 80's!!)  Many of you may remember 5 years ago Jim had a successful surgery to remove a tumor inside his spinal cord.   He saw his surgeon today for his annual visit and was given another clean bill of health.  He was given some new treatment plans for the chronic pain that persists and we are hopeful that will give him some more relief.  Finally I had some family in on Monday with a visit from cousin-in-law Jane and my Aunt Debbie.  It was great to have the company in the clinic and we had a delightful visit.

Medical Update:  The trial continues into its third week.  We've seen some encouraging signs and await the final word on overall success/next steps this coming Monday.  Each day I get the trial drug via a one hour transfusion (followed by one hour of observation) and blood/platelets as needed.  Today I had an extra treat of a bone marrow biopsy.  This is part of the clinical trial protocol.  Overall I continue to feel strong and healthy (strange word I know) most of the time.  Evenings are consistently kind of ich so I generally call it an early night and by morning I am ready to attack the day.  Look for an update early next week re: next steps - thanks for checking in!  Love, Maureen

(Oh and Happy Birthday to many of my Columbus family.  Three of the four Didays (Kate's family) celebrate birthday's in February - Happy Happy to Kevin, Kathryn and Nora.  Also we remember Eileen on her birthday this past Monday.  We love you and miss you.)

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear the trial is going well and that there are encouraging signs. Hoping the news continues to be good and that you continue to feel strong and healthy. Hang in there! Love and prayers coming your way! xoxo, Kate

    ReplyDelete