Saturday, April 25, 2015

Weekend Update April 25 and 26

We went from straightforward clinic visits to a whirlwind of activity last Thursday.  Some very encouraging news - I had another bone marrow biopsy and the preliminary results show no lingering leukemia.  Also, the bone marrow I now have looks completely different according to my doctor; thus early indications are the engraphment was a success and the transplant is doing what it is supposed to do.  More testing is in the works to see among other things what % of the marrow is mine vs. the donor.

I did also have a slight derailment on Thursday.  Periodically since getting released from the hospital to the apartment I would become short of breath after walking just a few yards.  Othertimes I could walk from point A to point B no problem.  On Thursday afternoon I was in the clinic getting a previously scheduled echo cardiogram when I had tremendous difficulty breathing.  I was put on oxygen right away and felt better immediately.  They took me to the emergency room (with my Mom riding shotgun in the ambulance) for a chest X Ray and VQ scan as the doctors looked for reasons my oxygen saturation was so low,  The VQ scan tests for a blood clot and fortunately none was found.  The chest X Ray revealed fluid in my lungs which is the most likely culprit for the labored breathing.  I was readmitted to Beth Israel for what I hope is a short stay.

How did this happen?  Best I can tell they overloaded me with fluids while I was in the clinic (I got fluids every morning the two weeks I was in the apartment).  Since Thursday I've taken a couple doses of Lasix and have been happily peeing out the excess fluid.  Hopefully that will do the trick.  My lungs sound better and I can take deeper breaths with no discomfort.  I am waiting for the doctors to round today (Saturday) to learn next next steps including discharge from the hospital (3rd times a charm).

Thanks for checking in and I'll continue to update as internet connections allow.

Love Maureen

8 comments:

  1. Dear Maureen,
    Well this sounds encouraging to me! Sorry about the slight set back last week but it seems that things are looking up! I have been thinking of you and miss you! Love, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, hoping it's a short bump in the road and you'll be on your way home soon. Keep us posted! xo Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maureen dear,
    glad you're breathing better and hope you get released to the apts., then to home soon. Sorry you won't be home tomorrow to get my poisonous dinner. Tell Emma, Joseph and Jim to have a large lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen,
    Maybe it's slower than you would like, but it sounds like you are making progress and moving forward. Keep on keeping on!
    Love you,
    Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maureen,
    What's a little bump in the road when you have traveled so far? The good news about your transplant is awesome and you'll get thru this as well. I hope you are home before you know..
    xo
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been scary, Moe. I'm glad they figured out what was going on so fast. And I am really really happy to hear the bone marrow transplant is working. Thinking of you and sending major positive vibes your way. (On a side note, did you hear thst Karen raced the Queen of England over the week-end? The queen had pretty good time but Karen still smoked her! Hee hee Yay Karen) love you, Moe...xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. That must have been scary, Moe. I'm glad they figured out what was going on so fast. And I am really really happy to hear the bone marrow transplant is working. Thinking of you and sending major positive vibes your way. (On a side note, did you hear thst Karen raced the Queen of England over the week-end? The queen had pretty good time but Karen still smoked her! Hee hee Yay Karen) love you, Moe...xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete