Friday, September 25, 2015

weekend update 9/25

Happy Friday. We are looking forward to some beautiful fall weather this weekend. Emma rows in her first regatta on Saturday (which also happens to be her 14th birthday).  What a perfect day Saturday promises to be. Grandma and Jim will watch her row. I am a bit wiped out after  this week and will catch the next one. Emma also had her 8th grade retreat this week and had an absolute blast.  Joseph continues to enjoy Bowdoin.  The community of Brunswick is very tied into the school and Joe has begun both tutoring and teaching a Tae Kwon Do class to area grade schools.  The TKD class is part of a new after-school initiative for at risk kids.  Joe said his first class consisted of drills along with some basic kicks and punches until the kids begged for him to "do something cool."  He did some flips and kicks and it seems all were well entertained.  Oh, and I think classes are going well too.

On Tuesday I had a barrage of tests to determine why I have been so tired and short of breath lately. They ruled out the nastiest potential culprits (blood clot in my lung, scaring on my lungs from the chemo) and on Thursday found I have  the Epstein bar virus. Apparently this is a virus that quietly lives in most of us at acceptable levels.  I am tested frequently and the most recent test shows me to have an elevated level of EBV - my levels are not alarmingly high but could explain the fatigue. The hope is the virus will run its course quickly.

My elevated liver numbers detected last weekend led to me temporarily stopping Sorafenib (the pill chemo/immune stimulant).  My numbers are back to normal and I am back on Sorafenib.  Next week the doctors will make a determination if/when I start the infusion chemo.

So while it was a week of some uncertainty, nothing that came up has taken me off track in the treatment of my leukemia.  The medical team is very pleased with how well I am fighting the disease as we have seen no leukemia blasts in my blood in a couple of weeks.

I unexpectedly and happily have Friday and Saturday off.  Back on Sunday and will figure out after my labs are drawn what the plan is for next week,  In the meantime I am enjoying some time with my Mom and getting ready for a lovely Fall weekend.

Thanks for checking in

No comments:

Post a Comment