Thursday, March 12, 2015

Thursday 3/12

Good evening!

Jim and I spent most of today at the Beth Israel Clinic.  I've been home 3 weeks now averaging about 3 visits a week.  I've noticed a consistent disconnect with how long I think I will be there (1 hour) with how long we are actually there (2 - 4 hours).  But this is time well spent as I've been getting outstanding treatment including loads of diagnostic tests.

The most recent procedure today was a spinal tap - also called a lumbar puncture - either name screams 'ouch'.  I mean, really, putting puncture in the name of a procedure??

Anyway, it was not that bad...they numb the area below the spine and extract fluid.  The whole thing took 10 minutes.  They want to ensure there are no miscreant leukemia cells lurking in that fluid - if they are there we need to zap them with a directed chemo.  All indicators are there is nothing there but we are better off knowing for certain.

Today I also received confirmation of my return date to the hospital - I am going back to Beth Israel Deaconess on Thursday 3/19 to begin the process for the stem cell transplant (I've been calling it a bone marrow transplant but I am actually getting stem cells from my donor via an IV).  The donor is in Europe (Germany I think) and they are working through a donor center there.  That center will ship the stem cells to my team for transplant to me with the transplant happening on or about Thursday 3/26.

I anticipate being in the hospital for 4 weeks from this date and will be discharged to an apartment close to Beth Israel for daily clinic visits.  We won't know how long I'll be in the apartments until we see how I am doing at that time.

So all good news - many blessings on my donor, the team working overseas to get the stem cells to me, and my team here.

Thanks for checking in

Love Maureen

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear continued good news. Thanks fo the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news all around. One pressing question--if you get stem cells from a German donor, will you become less Irish and have to stop celebrating St. Patrick's Day?? I certainly hope not :0).
    Hugs to you. I hope you're continuing to enjoy the much-needed time at home.

    xoxo, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The donor is from Germany...I had no idea they could find a donor match from so far away. Thankfully, for our precious friend, there are generous, good-hearted gift givers all around the world! I am praying everything progresses exactly as planned...or really close! I hope spring has reached Massachusetts finally...there is nothing like that warm sun to help with the healing. You are always on our minds and in our hearts...happy spring break and St. Patrick's Day! xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Maureen,

    Such great news all around! I will plan on visiting during the time you'll be back in BI. Do u still want to try to get together Mon for a bit? Text me if u do!

    Love, Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a Happy St. Patrick's Day Moe ! And may the luck of the Irish continue to be with you!! Xoxo, Kate

    ReplyDelete