Saturday, January 2, 2016

Happy New Year - Weekend Update 1/1/2016

Hope everyone had a fun and safe New Years.  Jim and I enjoyed the evening with great friends and managed to stay up to watch the ball drop.  This break from school has been terrific for the kids but sadly flying by.  They've both kept busy while managing to make time for Mom and Dad.  Emma is back to St Mikes on Monday the 4th and Joe goes back to Bowdoin on the 11th for track practice/training.  School for  him starts the  end of January.

Quick Medical Update:   Since being discharged from the hospital on 12/18, I am in the clinic every 2 - 3 days getting labs drawn and being  monitored to see if infusions are needed.  My blood counts remain pretty stable and infusions are occasional instead of frequent. In the clinic today, Saturday, getting platelets and red blood for the first time in two weeks (the longest I've gone since the summer).

I continue to have a strong white blood cell/neutrophil count allowing me to roam around mask free and eat without restrictions (tenderloin properly cooked never tasted so good).

My immune system is strong and active which is critical to my long term health. I have mild Graftt vs Host, a common side effect of transplants where the new immune system gets a bit over-active (note: mild GVH is a good thing) causing side effects like a skin rash.  That has been a bit uncomfortable but manageable - I am on a low dose of prednizone to help manage the discomfort without suppressing my immune system.  GVH can become more serious and is another thing they are monitoring via the labs.  So far so good!

That's it for now - my next clinic visit is Monday but I may not update again until next weekend if there is nothing new going on.

Thanks for checking in

Love Maureen

4 comments:

  1. Happy new year! Sounds like 2016 is off to a good start. Here's hoping everything continues to go well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! Hope the good news keeps coming throughout 2016.

    Rich & Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! We have returned from our trip to Michigan and are now settling back into our routine. If you need anything - you know where to find us!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete