Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Wednesday March 2

A gloomy, rainy post super Tuesday here in MA.  I am looking forward to a visit from my dear friend Annie today.  Lots of good laughs and catching up.

Medical Update:  Well it has been a bit of a comedy of errors these last couple days.  In my last post I mentioned I need to get my port removed due to an infection.  In order to have this procedure, my platelets need to be at a certain level.  Generally if my platelets are low (which they are now) I get an infusion of platelets that are specifically matched to me.  These HLA matched platelets have been 'special ordered' for me since the Fall and are usually available in the blood bank every 2 - 3 days.  Apparently there is an unusual shortfall in the donors needed for these special platelets - it looks like they will be available late tonight so maybe I will get the procedure tomorrow.  The chemo probably can't start until I get the current port removed and a new access point (another port, a central line or maybe a pic line) inserted.  They are looking at starting the chemo before the port is out but that has its own complications.  So the most likely scenario is I get the platelets late tonight/tomorrow, the port removed tomorrow and chemo started the following day/day after.  Things could change if the availability of the platelets improve or they decide it is safe to start chemo right away.  On a good note, the infection is clearing up (no fever, no bacteria growing in new cultures) but with an infection like this we don't say "cleared up" until two weeks have passed.  Bottom line the start of the chemo is delayed which is unfortunate but does not compromise my care - just irritates the hell out of me :)

Thanks for checking in

Love Maureen


3 comments:

  1. OMG - how you track all of these items is beyond my little brain. Thank goodness you have it all together and a team of folks keeping an eye on you! Let me know if you need anything as I am happy to swing by and drop it off (which gives me an excuse to visit you too)!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update Maureen. So glad the infection is going away and that good things are ahead. Hope to see you soon! Colleen

    ReplyDelete