Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Wednesday March 23

We had some true Spring weather these past several days with Joe home for Spring break (though he was removing snow from the roof this past Monday!)  He's been busy with work (the Tae Kwon Do kids he teaches are thrilled to have him back for a couple weeks), spending time with friends both from North Andover and Boston as he visits his Bowdoin friends at their parents homes and getting some quality time with us - it is especially gratifying to see Emma and he getting so much fun time together.  Jim is again keeping it all together as I find myself back in the hospital as of Sunday March 20.

Medical Update: After being home for 9 wonderful days, I was readmitted to the hospital on Sunday March 20th with a slight fever.  I am 17 days out from my last round of chemo and this is when my blood counts are at their lowest.  The MEC Chemo is designed to wipe my marrow clean of all cells/cell production.  The thinking, the hope, is my marrow starts from scratch producing ONLY healthy cells.  Before this happens the marrow hits something called nadir where it is producing nothing at all.  I am at that period now so I essentially have no white cells to help fight an infection.   Thus a fever right now is very dangerous.

Also still experiencing those mouth sores and they were particularly painful when I was admitted.  They are doing a fantastic job with pain management and things are getting better - I can eat, swallow and sleep again which makes for a much better quality of life.  Fatigue is better as well though rash has returned with a vengence.  Luckily it is not too uncomfortable.

So I here I sit watching Jimmy Fallon waiting for my midnight vitals and lab draw.  Apparently this must happen at midnight  - logic is beyond me and I am happy when they occasionally sneak the time up to 11. Luckily I adore my nurse (which is always true) and it gives me a good chance to say hello to all of you.

Next steps...I hope to go home within the next week.  We are waiting for my blood counts to go back up and for me to get some disease fighting neutrofils (a type of white blood cell).  I had a bone marrow biopsy today and that will help determine next steps in treatment.  Also, despite all of the above we now have an opportunity with the latest round of chemo to get on a better track of treatment continually working toward remission.  Amazing with all that has happened I continue to be graced with potentially curative care - again I am keeping the faith until otherwise notified.

That's it - turning in for some zzzz's and will update soon.  Blame the latest delay on the appeal of my pillow.

Thanks for checking in.

Love Moe

2 comments:

  1. Have a nice Easter. Hopefully good news will follow soon.

    Rich & Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hope you make it hope with for the Easter egg hunt. You continue to be in our daily thoughts & prayers.

    Gina & George

    ReplyDelete