Friday, February 27, 2015

Friday Feb 27, 2015

What a joy to be home this past week!  Jim and  the kids are taking great care of me and I am thrilled to be getting a little more stamina each day.  While I have been getting plenty of rest, the days have been busy with trips in to the clinic or (even better) activities related to the kids.  Emma has been competing in a regional academic bowl and it was great to see her and her teammates from St Mike;s in action.  She also placed second in the school wide spelling bee at St Mikes.  I am beyond blessed to have this time with my family and friends.

Yesterday I saw my attending physician who  told me I 'looked good - what a difference a week makes'.  Shows what a bit of makeup can do!

One other health note - my heart took a bit of a hit with with chemo treatments (while effective for the leukemia, the chemo regimen used is heart toxic for some patients including me). My heart is not pumping at full efficiency.  Thus it needs to pump more than  normal to keep the blood flowing.  The good news is my heart function and heart rate have improved over the course of the last week.  The first day I went back for a clinic visit, the walk from the garage to the appointment brought by heart-rate to 140!  My heart-rate is much improved but my medical team wants to see even  more improvement moving forward with the transplant.

Right now  the plan for the transplant is pending the availability of a donor.  Another strong match has been located and my team is working on the logistics of confirming the availability of the donor and working on the timing.  Hopefully we'll have a plan in place next week.

So great to see those of you I've been able to connect with this week.

Thanks for checking in!

Love
Maureen


9 comments:

  1. Maureen, thanks so much for the update. How wonderful that you have this time at home to enjoy with your family, and that you are able to go to some of your kids' activities! I am praying that your heart rate continues to improve, and that your medical team gives you the green light soon to begin the next phase of treatment. Very encouraging news on the donor front! Stay positive and keep the faith! You are so very loved by so many. Xoxo, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news! Hope the matching donor comes through. We thought that we would get to Boston this month but couldn't make it to the Cape in February with the weather so bad. March is out too with cataract surgery for Ann. Maybe we can get to see you in April.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news! Hope the matching donor comes through. We thought that we would get to Boston this month but couldn't make it to the Cape in February with the weather so bad. March is out too with cataract surgery for Ann. Maybe we can get to see you in April.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maureen, Great to hear news of a donor. I am also glad you have the home, love and support from your family. It makes a big difference.
    Will keep my eyes on your blog and wish you lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Moe,

    So great to see you Saturday at Topsfield. My thoughts are and will continue to be with you through this trying time. All is moving in the right direction. Hang in there !

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Maureen,
    I'm so happy for you (and your family) that you are getting this special time at home. At Mass today I'm going to light a BIG candle (because you are SO worth it :-) to pray that your heart rate gets down to where it needs to be for the transplant process. (I'm holding onto your package to send during your next hospital stay...you'll see why when you open it!) You are amazing, girl...if there was a Super Hero called 'Amazing Girl' who faced adversity with the strength of steel she would have an 'M'on her cape! (Hey, that gives me an idea for the next package! jk) You really are amazing, Moe. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Maureen,
    I'm so happy for you (and your family) that you are getting this special time at home. At Mass today I'm going to light a BIG candle (because you are SO worth it :-) to pray that your heart rate gets down to where it needs to be for the transplant process. (I'm holding onto your package to send during your next hospital stay...you'll see why when you open it!) You are amazing, girl...if there was a Super Hero called 'Amazing Girl' who faced adversity with the strength of steel she would have an 'M'on her cape! (Hey, that gives me an idea for the next package! jk) You really are amazing, Moe. xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Moe... Great to hear your visit at home is going well! So happy for you. Congrats to Emma! I will keep your future donor and you in my prayers:). Ttys Love,
    BF

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear you are home..This is all good news! Your will have your stamina back before you know it..One step at a time girlfriend! Hope that donor match comes through soon for you, but in the meantime enjoy your time at home..
    xo,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete